LivingLies: “For some reason I have been getting more questions about MERS lately. My analogy has always been that MERS is like a holograph of an empty paper bag. So here are some basic factors for the checklist and analysis: MERS never signed any contract with any borrower.
- MERS never has any contractual or other legal relationship with investors (certificate holders) or Government Sponsored Entities (GSEs) like Fannie, Freddie or Sallie.
- MERS never signed any agreement or contract with most named “lenders.”
- MERS never signed any agreement or contract with respect to any specific loan transaction or acquisition.
- MERS was never the Payee on any note from a borrower.
- MERS never loaned any money in any residential loan transaction.
- MERS never paid any money for the acquisition of any residential loan agreement, debt, note or mortgage.
- MERS never handled any money arising from the origination of the loan.
- MERS never handled any money raising from administration of the loan.
- MERS never received a loan payment. …”